Summertime is the best time to hit the road for a long motorcycle trip with your friends. However, you can’t expect to hop on the bike without doing some pre-trip prep work. With this in mind, this post will cover some basic motorcycle maintenance in Las Vegas, NV that you can handle yourself:
- Fuel system: Running the engine with old fuel in the tank can cause problems with the fuel system and lead to an uncomfortable ride. Drain the stale gas from the tank and carburetors before hitting the road this summer.
- Engine fluids: You’ll want to change both the oil and the oil filter before you head out on your road trip. While you’re at it, inspect your coolant and other fluids to ensure they’re topped off.
- Air filter: Rodents and other critters may have created a nest for themselves in your air filter during the winter. Remove any debris and replace the filter if necessary.
- Lights: Even if you don’t plan on doing any nighttime riding, you’ll want to ensure your headlights and brake lights are fully operational. The last thing you want is to get a ticket on your road trip!
- Tires: Proper inflation and proper tread depth are crucial both for your safety and for a comfortable motorcycle trip. Double-check their inflation before you leave, and consider replacing your tires if the tread levels are low.
- Brakes: Just like with a car, riding a bike with worn brakes will only end in disaster. Check to ensure the brake fluid levels are good and replace it if the fluid is a dark color. Use a flashlight to inspect the front and rear brake calipers and replace the pads if they’re too worn down.
- Battery: If it’s been a while since you’ve ridden your bike, there’s a good chance that the battery needs to be replaced. Though it’s inconvenient, we recommend replacing it now instead of waiting for the battery to die mid-trip.
The dangers of not preparing
Not taking the time to perform motorcycle maintenance in Las Vegas, NV can have grave repercussions. Here are a few of the things that might go wrong if you don’t follow our advice:
- Accidents: First and foremost, performing basic summer maintenance can help prevent accidents on your trip. Things like inspecting the brakes and the tires only takes a few minutes and can be the difference between an accident and a safe ride.
- Breakdowns: Whether it’s a relatively minor issue like a dead battery or something more serious with the engine, a mid-trip breakdown isn’t something you want to deal with. The best thing you can do to avoid that is to prepare your bike by following our maintenance tips.
- A less enjoyable trip: Even if you don’t have an accident or a breakdown, failing to prepare your bike could lead to a rough or shaky ride and a bad time on the road. Ensure you have a blast by preparing your bike for the journey!
If you’re going on a summer road trip, consider renting your bike instead of worrying about motorcycle maintenance in Las Vegas, NV. Escape Eagles has high-quality bikes for rent and offers adventurous bike tours that guarantee a fun time for everyone in your crew!