Buying a used motorcycle is a great way to get into the sport without breaking the bank. Getting some used gear to go along with your bike is another way to save a few hundred bucks. However, while buying a used jacket or gloves is fine, you never want to purchase used motorcycle helmets in Las Vegas. Continue reading to learn about the dangers of buying a used helmet instead of a new one:
- Unseen damage: The biggest reason to avoid used helmets is that you never know their true history. A helmet could’ve been dropped several times or been involved in a minor accident that resulted in tiny interior cracks. Those flaws make the helmet structurally unsound and dangerous for the wearer.
- Bad fit: Helmets aren’t one-size-fits-all. A helmet that fit the previous owner just fine might be too big or too small for your head and neck. If that’s the case, you’ll be uncomfortable while wearing it and be less protected. Buy a helmet that fits your head perfectly to resolve this issue.
- Outdated protection: Helmet technology advances every year. Thus, so does motorcycle helmet safety in Las Vegas! A used helmet is bound to be out of date and less safe than more current models. We recommend riders replace their helmet every five years or so regardless of use to ensure they’re wearing the most up-to-date head protection available.
- Hygiene concerns: Motorcyclists tend to sweat a lot, especially when riding during hot Las Vegas summers—and most of that sweat gets absorbed by the helmet. Buying someone’s used helmet essentially means you’re going to be wearing their sweat on your head. Instead, stay clean and purchase a new one.
What to look for in a new helmet
Picking out a new helmet is just one aspect of motorcycle helmet safety in Las Vegas—you also need to get the right helmet for your head. Here are things to consider when shopping for your helmet:
- Use: Do you use your motorcycle as an everyday vehicle to commute to work, or is it just something you like to ride on the weekends when the weather is perfect? Commuters need to buy more advanced helmets with better ventilation and anti-fogging technology for those less-than-ideal days.
- Size: We mentioned above how the right size is essential for your comfort and safety. When you buy a helmet from a dealer, you can try on as many helmets as you want to find the perfect fit for your head and neck.
- Price: A helmet is the one thing protecting your head from the pavement. While you should purchase a high-quality helmet, there’s no need to break the bank for a new one. Do your research and find a helmet that fits within your price range.
Book your motorcycle adventure today!
Now that you know all about new and used motorcycle helmets in Las Vegas, it’s time to get out and ride! Book a tour with Escape Eagles to ensure you have a fun and safe time out on the open road.